Luke Jacobz returns to Home and Away after 10 years, but is Angelo back for good?

And why was the character the most hated man on TV?

The grim discovery of a dead body brings an old face back to Summer Bay as hot cop Angelo Rosetta returns for the first time in nearly a decade, with Australian actor and host Luke Jacobz taking the role up again.

Angelo spent three eventful years, involved in several violent crime-led scandals in Home and Away from 2008, and then ran a restaurant after being chucked off the police.

Last seen leaving with lover Nicole and her baby son George for fresh pastures in 2011, the re-established cop, now a detective is drawn back to the coastal town to lead the investigation into the murder of Colby Thorne’s dastard stepdad Ross Nixon.

It’s a return to acting for multi-talented Jacobz, who has previously anchored X Factor and Netflix reality show Instant Hotel, a popular presenter in his native Australia.

RadioTimes.com talked to the actor exclusively about his soap revival, and what inspired him to come back.


Were you surprised to be asked back?

I wasn’t expecting it, the call came and they were basically telling me what I was doing next week when they wanted to put Angelo back! I still said I was grateful that he wasn’t killed so that one day he was left free for a potential comeback. The storyline and the reasons for his return were explained and it made perfect sense.

Was it your decision to leave in 2011?

It used to be 50/50. I was hosting X Factor and it was going to clash with the Home and Away schedule the next season, I couldn’t do it so Angelo was written out. I’d stay as long as they needed me, but I still thought the character’s trajectory had been going back then. If I had been asked to quit and hadn’t had X Factor I would definitely have been more frustrated, but it was well worked out and it’s nice to be coming back.

What has Angelo been up to for the last decade?

He’s becoming more mature. Things didn’t work out for him and Nicole, as he enjoyed being on the police force, they went their separate ways and decided to pursue his cop career with her. So he went back, working his way up to a senior homicide position. I get to wear glamorous suits and drive a luxury car! He is married to Taylor who loves his work so well.

Are you pleased he’s a cop again?

For this, he was born. He was riddled with remorse as he gave up the mask, mistakenly killed Jack Holden and then helped Martha and Hugo escape and that was a huge decision. I recall it was collapsing when he was no longer an officer, then he opened a restaurant that was a nice, different character part. It opened up a new dimension for him.

What reaction did you get to Jack’s death at the time?

I’d say Angelo’s been one of Australian TV’s most disliked characters! Jack everyone liked him. I will have people abusing me for killing him off in the supermarket! For Angelo, it was a big challenge because it made him grow into where he is now.

Did you keep in touch with any of the cast?

I’ve been hosting programs on the same network for a decade as Home and Away (Channel Seven) so I’d see them at award shows or channel gatherings, it’s a wonderful team and a true family. I still see Ray Meagher (Alf Stewart) around, Lynne McGranger (Irene Roberts) and I love the same footie band. I still know some of the more recent faces like James Stewart (Justin Morgan) and Penny MacNamee (Tori Morgan) with whom I’m going back a long way.

How does Angelo feel returning to the Bay?

To make friends he is not there, he is solving a very serious crime. He soon learns the link with the River Boys, who Angelo does not have a very strong relationship with himself as fans can recall! Angelo has ripped out his job trying to figure out just what happened, and what Colby, Dean, and Bella are covered up.

Are you back permanently?

I’m not sure exactly, but on that there are discussions. The main focus right now is on the arc of the murder case plot, but finally, the wife of Angelo will be added which will add even more suspense. It was nice to come back and to work with the cast, old and fresh. It sounds like going here, immediately.